The next orientation will be Sunday, August 5, 2018 from 12:30 to 2:00 pm at the Oaks Park Hanger.
Young women and girls, ages 7-17, are welcome to join the Rose Petals (7-12) or Rosebuds (12-17) training programs. The Rose Petals Butterflies and Rosebuds Seedlings programs are where new recruits become eligible to join a juniors home teams after achieving their basic skills requirements. Skaters will learn awesome skating skills, be part of a team, and become a part of the supportive and empowering community that is the flat track derby family.
Skaters ages 7-12 entering the Rose Petals program must be able to skate comfortably unassisted (without holding on to someone) and safely come to a stop prior to joining.
Rental derby skates and gear are available through our Rent N’ Roll program. For many skaters this is their first time lacing the wheels up.
Register for our next Orientation:
Prospective skaters must RSVP by completing the Online Junior Skater Orientation Form.
Registration for this event closes on August 3, 2018.
You will also need to fill out these additional forms and bring them to the orientation:
Please try to have all paperwork filled out prior to attending the intake.
All paperwork and payments will be collected at the end of orientation.
During Orientation we will cover information about the league, our junior program, skater safety and skater wellness concerns. We will collect orientation paperwork and insurance/dues payments ($20 for insurance plus 1st month dues at $45 = $65). Payments can be made by credit/debit card.
Youth: You will NOT be skating during Orientation.
Parents: You will need to stay for the entirety of the Orientation and attend the Parent’s Meeting at the Orientation. Part of this process includes typical sports paperwork such as insurance, waivers and, if needed, how to utilize the Rent N’ Roll lending program.
Are you interested in a Junior Skater Scholarship? Rose City Rollers is committed to making roller derby as accessible to youth as possible. To that end, we award numerous scholarships to qualifying families. Please check out this page for more information on skater scholarships!
- New skaters start out in our training program. The Seedlings for Rosebuds (12-17 yr old), and the Butterflies for the Rose Petals (7-12 yr old).
- Rosebud Seedlings’ practices are Sundays 12:00 – 1:00 to start, then Fridays 4:00 – 6:00 pm once basic skills are cleared.
- Rose Petals Butterflies’ practices are Sundays 1:00 – 2:00 pm, then attending home team practices on Saturday mornings once basic skills are cleared. Parents are required to stay at all practices for juniors in the Rose Petals program.
- The length of time spent on Seedlings or Butterflies varies greatly and is entirely skill-based as there are many skills needing to be mastered.
- Let us know if your personal information changes
- We use an online forum for our communication as well as email. Once you become a member you will be asked to complete profile information for access.
What Should I Expect During Practice?
- During practice we use many of the same drills that are used at team practices including skating safety, footwork, muscle strength, weaving, whipping, pack awareness and jamming.
- Each practice is led by experienced Rose City Rollers coaches.
- Derby is hard work!!! Be sure to eat healthy meals during the day you have practice for skaters will be getting their cardio workouts in also.
What Gear Do I Need?
In order to participate you need to have all the gear listed below. Skaters will not be allowed to participate in practices without all gear.
Please let us know if you’d like to use our Rent N’ Roll gear lending program – it’s a resource for skaters who couldn’t otherwise afford to skate. Derby is tough enough without worrying if you can afford the gear!
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Well fitted roller derby skates.
- Tip, do not rush into buying skates. Talk to experienced people if you are unsure.
- Properly fitted helmet
- Knee pads that can hold up to full-force falls to the ground
- Wrist guards
- Elbow pads
- Mouth guard (boil and fit at home)
- Crash pads (optional, but helpful if you’re very new to skating)
- Non-glass water-bottle (no glass allowed in the Hangar)
Please label all your gear with your name. Especially your water bottle.
Consider participating in the Intro to Derby Class held at Oaks Park on alternating Saturday’s from 6 – 7 pm to brush up or master your derby skills.