Rose City Rollers Volunteer Coordinator Job Description
Position Title: Volunteer Coordinator
Reports To: RCR Executive Director
Employment Status: Part time with room to grow
Summary of Position
The Volunteer Coordinator oversees recruitment, placement, training, supervision, retention, and recognition of Rose City Rollers volunteers. The Rose City Rollers is the world’s largest roller derby organization and is dependent on the hundreds of members and volunteers. The Volunteer Coordinator will collaborate with all leadership that manage groups of volunteers to address the volunteer needs of their group. This position may grow in title, scope, and pay if warranted when our organization returns to full functionality post COVID.
- Use evidence-based practices to provide effective and respectful leadership to a diverse volunteer base of 900+ individuals including league members (skaters, officials, volunteer staff) and community members
- Update and manage volunteer policies and procedures in collaboration with RCR leadership
- Evaluate volunteer programs to ensure effectiveness and implement changes as appropriate
- Provide training to volunteer staff to ensure success in a “volunteers managing other volunteers” environment
- Assess volunteer needs for RCR programs, committees, and special events
- Maintain and update database of volunteer job descriptions in collaboration with RCR leadership
- Work with leadership to evaluate success of programs to ensure that volunteers’ time is being used well and the work is meaningful and efficient
- Recruit new RCR volunteers
- Utilize RCR volunteer database, social media, and volunteer sites to recruit volunteers
- Host and attend recruiting events within the community to attract qualified candidates
- Respond to new inquiries within 48 hours
- Screen new volunteers and provide recommendation for placement
- Provide ongoing support and guidance for volunteers
- Conduct and/or arrange for volunteer orientation and training
- Confer with volunteers to resolve grievances and promote cooperation and interest
- Ensure volunteer jobs are sustainable and a proper match for the individual
- Organize and oversee RCR’s volunteer recognition programs
- Identify where volunteers are unhappy or stagnant and help find new opportunities
- Perform evaluations for specific volunteer positions/programs in collaboration with RCR leadership
- Support the RCR empowerment mission by supporting leadership development
- Identify process and guidelines for finding and developing leaders within the organization
- Design and develop training, orientation, or other support mechanisms for leaders taking new roles
- Identify succession planning strategies for leadership roles
- Be the hub of volunteer communication
- Use a variety of ways to communicate with volunteers including email, social media, phone, coffee dates, chatting at events, or whatever is meaningful to the person
- Use volunteer management software to maintain accurate records and promote opportunities
- Flexible in the face of rapid change, patient in the face of slow change
- Available to work nights and weekends frequently – typically at least 2 weekends and 4-6 nights
- Successfully navigate stressful situations and/or interpersonal conflict while remaining calm and respectful to all involved parties
- Effectively manage relationships with volunteers and staff with strong personalities and passionate beliefs in a way that is fair
- Creatively solve a wide range of problems under pressure
- Be a contributing member of a fast-paced and female-focused 501c3 sports organization
- Daily access to cell phone, personal computer, email, and internet
- Extensive computer experience and be resourceful at utilizing technology/software
- Willing to undergo a background check
- 2 years leadership experience in volunteer management, community management, or customer support
- Knowledge of current trends, management principles and evaluation techniques related to programs that involve a cadre of volunteers
- Experience working with a diverse group of volunteers and volunteer positions
- Experience with (or ability to quickly learn) volunteer management software. Get Connected experience a plus.
- Respectful and professional communication skills, both verbal and written
- Effective prioritization of tasks and projects to meet deadlines
- Experience with collaborative decision making and consensus building
- Entrepreneurial spirit and willingness to change with the times
Reports to: RCR Executive Director
Work Schedule: This role is designed to be 20 hrs/wk with the potential for growth. Work often happens on weekends and evenings. Outside of activities and meetings, work is done from a home office, typically M-F, 9-2.
Compensation: $21/hr. Benefits include paid vacation, sick time, a flexible schedule, a monthly tech stipend, and participation in Oregon Saves Retirement. We are looking for the right fit – if you are excited about this role, but something here isn’t working for you, apply anyway and include your concerns.
Applying for Position
Please complete this form (which includes the below questions) and be prepared to upload a document that includes your resume, three references and cover letter (letter optional):
- Why do you want to work for Rose City Rollers?
- What is your proudest moment running a volunteer team?
- Which of your traits make you the best person to recruit, interview, and place RCR’s numerous volunteers?
- What do you anticipate being the biggest challenge of this role?
- What is your experience with using a recruitment database, volunteer management software and software that aids in volunteer training?
4/30-5/21 6pm accepting applications
5/25 phone screens
5/28 Zoom interviews