Rose City Rollers Athletic Program Manager Job Description
Position Title: Athletic Program Manager
Reports To: RCR Executive Director
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Employment Status: Full time
The Athletic Program Manager will create, manage, and maintain stability in the 17 Rose City Rollers roller derby teams and programs. These programs consist of 550+ members, ranging from 7-year-old novices to our adult World Champions. This position is paramount to fulfilling RCR’s Mission and maintaining focus on our Core Values in our programs.
The Athletic Program Manager will deliver high-quality, consistent, and transparent sports programs and ensure programs meet the wants, needs, and interests of participants, members, community, and volunteers.
Ideal candidates must:
· Understand and have passion for sports, working with volunteers, and athletic development.
· Experience and a passion for diversity, equity, and inclusion work as it applies to community culture.
This is a new position for the Rose City Rollers, so it is imperative candidates are comfortable building out programming, policies, and procedures in a transparent and inclusive manner.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Program Scope:
- Adult Program Management: Adult programs include the recreational division (200pp), 4 Home Teams (80pp), 2 Travel Teams (30pp), and the Officiating Program (30pp)
- Junior Program Management: 250 participants and parent/guardian volunteers
- Coach Program Development:
- Build and maintain a comprehensive league-wide coaching program including recruitment, training, and management.
- Work with the WFTDA (Women’s Flat Track Derby Association) and JRDA (Junior Roller Derby Association) to ensure RCR coaching aligns with those governing bodies.
- Program and Team Management:
- Review existing policies and procedures for all teams and programs associated with skater progression, skills assessments, and tryouts/drafts, etc. to ensure teams are balanced and competitive, while considering team and individual growth
- Ability to balance the needs of and league resources allocated to recreational skater programs as well as internationally competitive adult programs.
- Ability to balance member suggestions, staff, and business needs and move programs in a direction aligned with our mission.
- A part-time Junior Program Coordinator ensuring program deliverables align with the adult programs.
- Program and team leadership including onboarding, training, and management.
- Coaches and interns
- Volunteers with support of the Volunteer Coordinator
- Assist with new member orientations and recruitment.
- Assist Executive Director on setting program budgets and goals.
- Must have understanding and passion for: sports, communicating effectively with others, working with and motivating volunteers, and athlete development.
- Experience creating/building curriculum, conflict management, maintaining 360-degree view of programs and identifying blind spots.
- Comfortable holding RCR’s varied, diverse and passionate skaters, members, and volunteers accountable to our policies, procedures, and core values.
- Experience managing a multi-tiered athletic program
- Experience managing youth programs
- Well-organized; able to manage time and people efficiently
- Strong ability to manage conflict and engage members and staff as needed
- Excellent professional verbal and written communication
- Project management experience
- Willing to undergo a background check.
Work Schedule: This role is 40hrs/week, full time exempt. Work often happens on weekends and evenings. Outside of activities and meetings, work is done from a home office, typically M-F, 10-3.
Compensation: $42,000-$48,000 salary based on experience, reviewed annually. Benefits include healthcare, dental care, paid vacation, sick time, a flexible schedule, a monthly tech stipend, and participation in Oregon Saves Retirement. We are looking for the right fit – if you are excited about this role, but something here isn’t working for you, apply anyway and include your concerns.
Applying for Position
Please complete this form and be prepared to upload a document that includes your resume, three references and cover letter (optional), as well as answering the following questions:
- Why do you want to work for Rose City Rollers?
- What about your sports program management experience makes you confident in your ability to be successful in this role?
- Describe your experience managing paid and volunteer staff.
- What do you foresee as the biggest challenge to this role?
April 30 -May 21 6pm – Accepting applications
May 25 – Telephone interview
May 28 – In-person/Zoom interviews
June 1 – Offer made
June 15 – Start date