More general information about the Wreckers recreational roller derby program is here.
Our next Orientation is scheduled for 5:30-8pm at the Hangar. Doors close at 6:00 pm sharp, and skaters who miss check-in (5:30-6pm) will have to wait until our next orientation. Can’t make it to this one? We have Orientations scheduled roughly every 2 months, so hopefully you can join us next time. Our next Orientation is tentatively scheduled for May 6, 2017. Dates and times are subject to change.
- New to skating and/or derby? Our Derby 101 class teaches participants the basics. We also have derby gear rental available for 101ers.
- Think you’re ready to go straight into Skills and Drills practices (and have all your own derby gear)? In addition to attending Orientation, plan to be available either the following Friday evening (March 10) or Saturday afternoon (March 11) to do a skills assessment during our Skills & Drills practice to determine your skill level.
Skaters joining Wreckers at all skill levels (whether you plan to start with Derby 101 or if you plan to do a skills assessment to see if you can bypass 101 and jump straight into Skills & Drills practices) must attend Orientation. Please do not bring visitors (spouses, neighbors, children, pets) to Orientation. Derby 101 classes are held on Sunday mornings. At Orientation, you will be provided with more exact information on dates and times for Skills & Drills practices and Derby 101 classes.
TO RSVP FOR ORIENTATION, FILL OUT THIS FORM:
- You must RSVP by completing the registration form linked above.
- The deadline to RSVP is the Thursday night before Orientation at midnight.
- Rose City Rollers Handbook must be read. Be prepared to sign an acknowledgement form.
- Wreckers Handbook must be read. Be prepared to sign an acknowledgement form.
- Learn about the Rose City Rollers and the Wreckers program
- Learn how to become more involved and how our WrAlly mentorship program works
- Gear fitting for skaters using our Rent N Roll gear lending library
- Dues processing: please bring a credit or debit card to get started with Dues
- For Derby 101: $60 per session (sessions are 6-8 weeks long)
- For Derby 101 + Rent N Roll gear rental: $100 per session (sessions are 6-8 weeks long)
- For those assessed with skating skills advanced enough to bypass 101 and join Wreckers Skills & Drills practices: standard league dues are $40 per month. All monthly dues are on an Auto-Pay system.
- For ALL SKATERS: WFTDA insurance is mandatory. It is $75/year. More info below.
- To skate with Rose City Rollers you are required to purchase WFTDA insurance on a yearly basis. During Orientation you will be provided instructions on how to do so online through WFTDA.
- In addition to purchasing WFTDA insurance, all skaters are strongly encouraged to have primary insurance coverage prior to skating.
- WFTDA insurance will cost $75/ year if you join between January and June 1; there is a prorated cost if you are joining after July 1.
- Per accident maximum: $10,000
- Deductible: $7,500 (without primary insurance) or $2,500 (with primary insurance)
- General liability for skater and venue: $2 million
- Injuries sustained during practice must be reported to Wreckers admin and Insurance
- Accident reports must be filed within 14 days
- Note: You will pay insurance directly to WFTDA with your credit or debit card online the week after Orientation.
What Gear Do I Need?
It is important to have high quality gear – you’ll be using it a lot! New skates and gear typically runs $300 – $500 or more. During Orientation we will cover more in-depth info about what to look for when purchasing your own gear. Orientation is off-skates. If you have your own gear, you may bring it to Orientation if you want a gear inspection.
- Well-fitted quad roller skates (typically jam or short boot style – no inline or roller blade skates)
- Properly-fitted helmet (multi-impact certified)
- Knee pads
- Wrist guards
- Elbow pads
- Mouth guard (boil and fit at home)
- optional: crash pads (also known as butt pads or padded shorts)
- Non-glass water-bottle (no glass allowed in the Hangar)
Where Can I Buy Derby Gear?
- Oaks Park Skate Shop (RCR members receive a 10% discount!)
Rent N Roll Program
The Rose City Rollers are proud to have launched our Rent N Roll derby gear lending program, opening the transformative powers of derby to all. Skaters can rent quality skates and gear while they learn the basics in Derby 101. Rent N Roll is currently only available to Wreckers in Derby 101, and is not available to skaters who have graduated from or bypassed 101 and are currently participating in Skills & Drills practices. Mouth guards are not included and must be purchased by the skater. Rent N Roll charges skaters a $40 fee to rent Riedell skates, an S-One helmet and Triple Eight or Atomic pads for an entire Derby 101 session, to be used during weekly 101 classes in the Hangar. Please plan to pay the rental fee with a debit or credit card at Orientation. This fee enables us to offer the Rent N Roll program to our juniors program (skaters ages 7-18) free of charge — by participating in Rent N Roll, you are helping to fund the future of roller derby! For Rent N Roll questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Once you receive an Authorization to Skate email from Insurance, you may begin attending practice (derby 101 or Skills & Drills). For insurance questions or issues, email email@example.com
- Set up your Apex account (for help, email Punch at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Connect with us on facebook!
- Sign up with the Volunteer management system to log your volunteer hours!
- look for an email from your WrAlly, who is an experienced Wrecker who serves as your league mentor during your first few months as a new Wrecker
Questions? Email email@example.com