The Rose City Wreckers
The Rose City Rollers are proud to invite you to join the Rose City Wreckers, a recreation program designed to further the competitive sport of flat track roller derby. The program is open to all women aged 18 and older interested in playing derby at any level. Wreckers are afforded the same benefits as all other league members- including regular skating time, participation in events, and opportunities to pitch in- without the level of commitment and time demanded by bouting league teams.
Wreckers Mission Statement
The Rose City Rollers Wreckers are a diverse group of skaters empowering women to discover their own athletic potential. We challenge ourselves and our derby sisters to improve our skills in a collaborative and fun environment. As a division of RCR we support the league’s mission and actively promote roller derby in the community.
Our values are:
Get connected and see what we’re about on Rose City Rollers Wreck League’s Facebook page.
Who Should Join
Women 18 and older who…
- Are interested in the competitive sport of flat track roller derby
- Are looking for a fun way to work out (seriously, way more fun than the gym and cheaper!)
- Want training from experienced coaches (seasoned RCRs and RCR referees)
- Want to hone their derby skills for the next freshmeat tryouts (tryouts are generally held every 3-4 months)
What Wreckers do:
- Learn and hone derby skills through exercises and drills coached by the best of RCR. During practice we use many of the same drills that are used at team practices including footwork, muscle strength, weaving, whipping, hitting, pack awareness, and jamming
- Earn scrimmaging privileges through our Wreckers Skill level system (see below) and play derby in a safe environment
- Support RCR and our community
- Make friends and build a strong supportive sisterhood of skaters
|Derby 101||Wreckers||Green Level Scrimmage|
|Stopping||Speed control||Hits legally and with force|
|Falling||Keeping up with pace line||Responds safely to hits|
|Pushing||Real hitting||Serpentine/advanced agility|
|Assists||Learning strategy/rules||Avoid skaters falling in front|
|Light Contact||Fast turnaround and stops at pace|
|Skating around people||Endurance (25/5)|
|Turn around/skate backwards||Jumping small objects/landing|
- Rose City Rollers Handbook must be read. Be prepared to sign an acknowledgement form
- Wreckers Handbook must be read. Be prepared to sign an acknowledgement form
- Complete the online orientation registration form
- Print, fill out and sign the RCR waiver (pdf) and bring to orientation
- Bring a check or money order (NO CASH) payable to Rose City Rollers for either:
- MANDATORY WFTDA insurance** ($60) and Derby 101 fees ($50) OR
- MANDATORY WFTDA insurance** ($60) and dues fees ($30 monthly or $35 for 7 visits) for those assessed with skating skills advanced enough to join standard Wrecker’s practices, skipping Derby 101.
- All skaters are strongly encouraged to have primary insurance coverage prior to skating and must have WFTDA to skate with the league
- Per accident maximum: $10,000
- Deductible: $7,500 (without primary insurance) or $1,500 (with primary insurance)
- General liability for skater and venue: $5 Million
- Injuries sustained during practice must be reported to Wreckers admin and Insurance
- Accident reports must be filed within 14 days
What Gear Do I Need?
Safety is sexy! It is important to purchase high quality knee pads, wrist guards and elbow pads – you’ll be using them a lot!! New skates and gear typically runs $200 – $300.
- Well fitted quad roller skates (typically jam or short boot style) (No inline or roller blade skates)
- Properly fitted helmet
- Knee pads
- Wrist guards
- Elbow pads
- Mouth guard (boil and fit at home)
- Crash pads (optional, but helpful if you’re very new to skating)
- Non-glass water-bottle (no glass allowed in the Hangar)
Where Can I Buy Derby Gear?
- Oaks Park Skate Shop (RCR members receive a nice discount!)
- Wear comfortable workout clothes and sneakers. You will be expected to participate in a general conditioning workout (off skates) with other members of the Wreckers program
- Bring skate gear if you want a gear inspection – no skating during orientation
- Paperwork and checks are submitted for processing
- Learn about the Rose City Rollers and the Wreckers program
- Learn how to become more involved and get hooked up with a mentor
- If you would like you may have your gear checked and recommendations made for upgrades or replacement parts
- Wait to receive your authorization to skate email before joining practice
- Get enrolled on the RCR Forum *Then email Wreckers with your forum login name
- Sign-up to be a member of the Google group
- Find us on Facebook and ask to join the group, also be sure to “like” our public page
- Sign-up with the Volunteer management system
- Let us know if your address, insurance, or personal information changes
When are Practices Held?
- We have practices on Fridays, Saturdays and Mondays. Derby 101 is held on Sundays.
- Email Wreckers Admin at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
For questions please contact the Wreckers Admin at email@example.com. We can’t wait to skate with you!