The next intake will be Sunday, March 19, 12pm – 2pm at the Oaks Park Hanger.
Please note that the Petals are currently at capacity, so we might not be able to take in any new Petals at the upcoming intake. Please read the info on this page and fill out the Online Junior Skater Intake Form below — someone will contact you before the next intake with information regarding capacity and next steps.
Young women and girls, ages 7-17, are welcome to join the Rose Petals (7-12) or Rosebuds (12-17) training programs. The Rose Petals Butterflies and Rosebuds Seedlings squads are where new recruits become eligible to join either program’s home teams after achieving their basic skills requirements. Learn awesome skating skills and become a part of the supportive and empowering community that is the flat track derby family.
New skaters ages 7-12 must be able to skate comfortably unassisted (without holding on to someone) and safely come to a stop prior to joining.
Rental derby skates and gear are available through our Rent N’ Roll program. For many skaters this is their first time lacing the wheels up.
Prospective skaters must RSVP by completing the Online Junior Skater Intake Form
You will also need to fill out these additional forms and bring them to the orientation: Juniors Intake Packet
Are you interested in a Junior Skater Scholarship? Rose City Rollers is committed to making roller derby as accessible to youth as possible. To that end, we award numerous scholarships to qualifying families. Please check out this page for more information on skater scholarships!
Please try to have all paperwork filled out prior to attending the intake.
During Orientation we will cover information about the league, our junior program, skater safety
and skater wellness concerns. We will collect intake paperwork and insurance/dues payments ($25 for insurance plus 1st month dues at $35 = $60). Payments can be made by credit/debit card.
All paperwork and payments will be collected at the end of orientation.
Scholarship programs are available for skaters in need.
Youth: You will NOT be skating during Orientation.
Parents: You will need to stay for the entirety of the Orientation and attend the Parent’s Meeting and Orientation. Part of this process includes typical sports paperwork such as insurance, waivers and, if needed, how to utilize the Rent N’ Roll lending program.
FIRST PRACTICE: TBA. Rose Petals parents or guardians are required to stay for all practices. Seedlings parents, you are not required to attend practices.
- New girls start out on a training team. The Seedlings for Rosebuds, and the Butterflies for the Rose Petals.
- Rosebud Seedlings’ practices are Fridays 4:00 – 6:00 and Sundays 12:00 – 2:00.
- Rose Petals Butterflies’ practices are Saturdays 10:00a.m. – 11:00a.m.
- The length of time spent on Seedlings or Butterflies varies greatly and is entirely skill based as there are many skills needing to be mastered.
- Let us know if your personal information changes
- Youth: Ask to join our Seedlings Facebook Group
- Parents: Ask to join our Rosebuds Parents Facebook Group
What Should I Expect During Practice?
- During practice we use many of the same drills that are used at team practices including skating safety, footwork, muscle strength, weaving, whipping, pack awareness and jamming.
- Each practice is led by experienced Rose City coaches.
- Derby is hard work!!! Be sure to eat healthy meals during the day you have practice for skaters will be getting their cardio workouts in also.
What Gear Do I Need?
In order to participate you need to have all the gear.
Please let us know if you’d like to use our Rent N’ Roll gear lending program – it’s a resource for skaters who couldn’t otherwise afford to skate. Derby is tough enough without worrying if you can afford the gear!
Email email@example.com for more information.
- Well fitted roller derby skates.
- Tip, do not rush into buying skates. Talk to experienced people if you are unsure.
- Properly fitted helmet
- Knee pads that can hold up to full-force falls to the ground
- Wrist guards
- Elbow pads
- Mouth guard (boil and fit at home)
- Crash pads (optional, but helpful if you’re very new to skating)
- Non-glass water-bottle (no glass allowed in the Hangar)
Please label all your gear with your name. Especially your water bottle.
Consider participating in the Intro to Derby Class held at Oaks Park Saturday’s from 6 – 7pm to brush up or master your derby skills.